Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society
Established in 1977, the Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society, Inc, (AAHGS) a 501(c)(3) non-profit national organization dedicated to promoting research, study and publication of history and genealogy of Americans, with particular interest in persons of African descent. It is head quartered in Washington, DC, with members and chapters located in various parts of the United States and the world.
- To enlighten and enrich the self-worth and self-esteem of Black Americans through genealogical research and interest
- To promote the collection, preservation, and utilization of manuscripts, documents, and other materials of genealogical & historical value.
- To create a network of persons with similar interests.
- To promote & encourage our youth to research their heritage.
- To increase interest in research and to raise the standards of research and compilation by means of workshops and educational programs.